What is a cookie?
Cookies are text files containing small amounts of information which are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. Cookies are then sent back to the originating website on each subsequent visit, or to another website that recognises that cookie. Cookies are useful because they allow a website to recognise a user’s device.
Cookies do lots of different jobs—everything from allowing you to move from page to page in a website and remembering your preferences to supporting the placement of a relevant advertisement. When you visit supermarket.ie various cookies may be placed on your device. Some of these are essential; our website will simply not work without them. Others are not integral to the service.
We’ve provided more details about different types of cookies, how we and our partners use them and how you can manage your cookie choices below. In addition, you can learn more about cookies at www.allaboutcookies.org and www.youronlinechoices.eu.
What types of cookies we use and how we use them
There are five main types of cookies. A description of the different types and how supermarket.ie and its third party partners use each one appears below. For a list of the specific cookies used, links to additional information and information as to how to manage your cookie choices, please see the “Managing Your Cookies” section.
Strictly Necessary: These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the Website/App or the Browser Extension and use their features. Without these cookies, most of the Services simply will not work. supermarket.ie uses strictly necessary cookies to identify you and your device when you log in and then track and continue to “remember” you as you use the Service. This in turn allows you to do things like:
- Move around from page to page within the site without having to log in again at every page
- Put lots of items in your basket from a variety of different shelves and pages without having to start over at every page
- Send your basket on to a Supermarket
- Stay logged in to supermarket.ie so that you don’t have to log in each time you visit
Performance: These cookies collect information about how visitors use a website, for instance which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages. These cookies don’t collect information that identifies a visitor. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. It is only used to improve how a website works. supermarket.ie uses performance cookies for the Website/App and Browser Extension to do things like:
- Collect statistical information about our site. For example, we might want to know how many visitors there were in any given day or how many pages the average person views.
- To understand how people use our site to help us make the site better. For example, if we were to see that most users go right to the biscuits page after buying milk, we might add a direct link to the biscuits page from the dairy product page.
- To see how well our Website/App and Browser Extension are working and what parts could use some improvement by keeping track of what features people use.
- To collect information about how users arrive at supermarket.ie and to identify users referred by third party websites and referrers under referral arrangements. This also allows us to assess effectiveness of our widgets and other offsite applications.
Functionality: These cookies are used to provide you with enhanced features, such as the ability to write a product review or to receive online customer support. These cookies may be placed by supermarket.ie or by the third party service providers who help us to provide you with these enhanced services. The information these cookies collect is anonymised and they cannot track your browsing activity on other websites.
These cookies are used by third party service providers that we use to help us to manage advertising campaigns. These include re-targeting cookies, which allow us to serve advertising to you after you have left our site, based on your activity on supermarket.ie. These cookies allow these third party service providers:
- To limit the number of times you see any given advertisement;
- To measure the effectiveness of the advertising campaign; and
- To present you with advertisements which are more relevant to you and your interests, including advertisements for supermarket.ie.
The presenting of advertisements based on your online activity or browsing habits is called “online behavioural advertising”, which includes personalised re-targeting. For example, you may see ads for products you viewed on another website while browsing supermarket.ie. You can learn more about online behavioural advertising on http://www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/.
Other Third Party Cookies
In addition to cookies set by supermarket.ie and our third party service providers and partners, cookies may be set by other third parties while visiting the Website. For example, if you visit a page with content embedded from an advertising network, a video streaming service or another source (e.g. YouTube, Facebook) they may set their own cookies on your web browser. These anonymous cookies may be set by that third party to track the success of their application (that is, count how many times it has been used or viewed) or to customise their application to you.
Managing your Cookies
Some cookies are essential for supermarket.ie to function and others are not. You always have the option to set your browser settings to reject all cookies. You can see here for more information on how to adjust your browser settings. Please note that each browser has their own settings. If you do reject all cookies, however, our Website/App and Browser Extension will not work.
Please remember that if you choose to reject cookies from a specific company or via www.youronlinechoices.com or another industry website, it only applies to the web browser on the device you are using. You will therefore need to follow the same process on every device you use or different web browser that you use to exercise the same choice.
A list of the key cookies used by our supermarket.ie and by our third-party service providers and partners, and information as to how to manage them, follows.
|supermarket.ie||Placed by: supermarket.ieThis cookie is needed for the Website/App and the Browser Extension to operate. It allows them to remember the user as he moves from page to page and completes actions.This cookie contains a random ID number generated by supermarket.ie when you register. The random ID number is linked to your account and allows the website to identify you and “keep track” of who you are as you navigate the site. It does not include any personal identifiable or any other information, apart from this random ID number.|